Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Love at First Sight

A year ago today I laid my eyes on my daughter for the first time. After a very short night of sleep and what felt like a lot of waiting we finally were on our way. We arrived at the hospital with a lot of emotions mixing around. We didn't know what to expect but oh my goodness, when my eyes saw the wee bundle in the hospital crib, my heart skipped a beat. There she was. My baby. My daughter. The epitome of love at first sight.

Her birthmom was a joy to meet but not without some awkwardness and tentativeness on both our parts. I can't imagine her journey up to this point and even at that moment when she met the people she had chosen to be the parents of her child based on a few pages of writing and pictures. What did she think of us? Were we what she expected? We still don't know but what we do know is that she has permanently entrusted her child to us. She has allowed us to be Kailyn's mommy and daddy. Wow.

This day will always be special to me. I suspect that every year I will get slightly teary eyed thinking about how incredibly happy I felt that day. We got to call dozens of friends and family and share our amazing news. We finally got to be the ones who got to announce our joyful arrival. We were finally the ones who got to show off our baby. It had taken years but at that moment all the waiting was totally worth it. I never thought I would say that.

No comments:

Post a Comment