Monday, May 24, 2010

Sugar Mama

As of this past Saturday, I am the proud wife of a Master of Theology (Th.M.) graduate. Not only does my hubby have a Master of Divinity degree (M.Div.), he now also has a Th.M. to add to his list of accomplishments (and the letters behind his name!). Even though our deal was one Masters level degree for him and then one for me when we began this journey, I am wowed by his academic ability and his determination and perseverance to earn both of these degrees.

Throughout these years I have been a self-proclaimed "sugar mama". What does this mean to me? A few things ...

1.
Trust. I trust my husband. This seems easy to say but truthfully, to give up my job, my home, my church and the close proximity to family and good friends to embark on pursuing his career was a huge step of trust. Of course, I also trusted the fact that he felt God's call on his life (and mine by association!) loud and clear. This detail is important because I was pretty sure he was simply making stuff up.

2. I work my rear end off trying to make ends meet

3. I ask myself the following questions on a pretty regular basis:
i. What am I good at?
ii. What do I like to do?
iii. How can I use both of the above answers to earn money?
Surprisingly, there are a number of things that fit all three questions! Who knew?

4. And finally, which almost goes without say, I have learned to trust God even more. Somehow, some way, all the bills have been paid, we have adopted a daughter, my husband has achieved two degrees, and we are still eating everyday and even enjoying the wonder of air conditioning as I write!

So, yes, I am a sugar mama. A proud one too. I hope these days come to an end sooner than later but in the meantime, I am enjoying exploring my gifts and abilities.

Good thing my hubby has a sweet tooth :)

~ April

No comments:

Post a Comment